Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Do you use baby powder after every nappy change?

Hi,





I'm unsure if baby powder should be used every time, as ive only seen 1 person that uses baby powder on their baby?





And the other question , if the baby all ready has nappy rash would you put the creme on after ever nappy change or only once and still use baby powder?





26 weeks prego and unsure.





ThanxDo you use baby powder after every nappy change?
I've never used baby powder on my son and for that matter, he's never had a diaper rash either. There have been a few times where his bum has started to get red and then I just use Aveeno Diaper Rash Cream on him. Usually, by the next diaper change the redness is gone. One thing though, if you are going to use powder, make sure you get corstarch powder as opposed to powder containing talc. Talc is not good for a baby as it has very small particles that can be easily inhaled and prolonged inhalation can cause a build-up in the lungs.Do you use baby powder after every nappy change?
Baby powder isn't recommended because it can enter the lungs of the baby. Instead of a powder, you're much better off using a barrier cream at every nappy change until the rash clears up. Also, a good disposable nappy that draws the moisture from baby's skin helps. Some babies develop nappy rash from sitting in a wet nappy for long periods overnight. Zinc creams are quite good to use as you can see where you've applied the cream and it provides a good barrier against the moisture which is what causes the rash.
I always used a good quality baby bath solution. If any sign of rash appeared I used 'Amolin' cream, available from chemists. I still used it when she was older and had any redness on her bottom or heat rash. I didn't like using baby powder because it dries out the skin. Don't use baby powder at all. Apart from changing nappies regularly let the air to their bottom, lie them on an open nappy and towels and let the air to the area (not in the sun). Any worries with nappy rash then talk to your local chemist, I found them to be very helpful. Another tip is to use baby oil on the babies head after every bath. Use a cotton wool ball with a little oil and massage it into the babies head; mine never ever had cradle cap.
We used the cream on the nappy rash every time we changed their nappy.


We just used Amolin cream cheap but effective.


Weused the powder after a bath because they still seem to get moisture in between the folds of the skin like armpits and folds on their legs even after you dry them.


This can cause other rashes to appear so the baby powder helped with that, especially during summer when they sweat.


I used the Johnson's cornflour one though the normal one wasn't as effective



I only use powder on my older son if he poos and he's a bit stinky. Or if he's really sweaty and uncomfy.


It's recommended you don't use powder since talc is bad for the lungs and can cause cancer. You can use powders made from cornstarch, though. (GoldBond is the best known brand)


As for the rash, put creme after each change until the rash subsides. Don't put powder.
Good lord!! Would YOU put crushed up perfumed rocks on your private parts?





Get yourself an aloe vera plant now - it'll come in handy for nappy rash, sunburn, insect bites, it's a miracle plant. Don't stress at all about products - your baby just doesn't need them. Aloe vera or olive oil works better than any of the creams you can buy, and it's always on hand. I wouldn't ever put any sort of powder down there - it'd suck the moisture right out of their delicate skin and make any sort of infection worse. Keep it simple and you'll be fine - just ignore all the advertising. Just remember a lot of companies see worried expectant mothers as a never ending gold mine! Good luck with the baby!
I've never used baby powder on my daughter. At every nappy change I clean and dry her bottom. I apply cream if there is any faint sign of redness or irritation. My daughter is 17 months old and has never had nappy rash.


I use top quality disposable nappies as they keep the moisture away from her skin and use baby wipes for sensitive skin.
I never used baby powder on my son, and he did not ever have one diaper rash.. i got lucky!!! probably wont be as lucky with this baby arriving 11/4. If the baby has a rash, i heard you are suppose to put the diaper rash ointment on after every diaper change.. or atleast sprinkle the powder, for their comfort.
I never used baby powder on my daughter. It's very bad for their chest as the dust is so fine. If you chose to use it, put some on your own hands and then apply it to baby, so the dust doesn't fly all over him/her.


I only ever used Sudocreme at every nappy change and she never ever had nappy rash.
Please do not use baby powder at all.





Ok so its name suggests that you use it on babies.





Wrong!





Talc has harmful chemicals in it that can cause cancer. and no good for your babies respiratory system either.





If theyhave a rash use cream its much nicer for them








Congrats and good luck
I only use baby powder when bubs has a rash, but i try not to use anything, as their skin will become accustomed to it and rely on it daily.





To prevent rash i give bubs lots of nudie bum time on a towell, she loves it haha.
I don't use baby powder, the best thing you can put is an ordinary nappy care cream or ointment.


I used Bepanthen for my daughter and now I'm using the same ointment with my new born son.
Use baby powder to prevent nappy rash. Only use cream (no powder) when baby has nappy rash. Baby powder is optional, it helps to absorb moisture. I don't think it's necessary for a new born baby.
I can honestly say i've never ever used baby powder after changing my sons bum.





I use Sudocrem, a preventing nappy rash cream after every bum change though and have since he was born.






I have used vaseline and cu rash baby powder since day one afta bub had thrush at 3 wks old and she hasn't had any bad rash since. my mum swears by the vaseline and i also use curash wipes. no har in being safe
Talc, a major constituent of baby powder has been linked to cervical cancer. I wouldn't use it!
I've never used baby powder on either of my kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment