Friday, July 30, 2010

Are you supposed to put baby powder in you babies' diaper?

i usually dont.. if she has a rash i use bag balm or something, but when i was in the hospital with my daughter they lectured me on how they are saying baby powder is no longer good for them.. i guess its good to make them smell good..Are you supposed to put baby powder in you babies' diaper?
Disposable diapers are really good these days at holding wetness away from the baby's skin so baby powder is not really neccessary anymore. I've been changing diapers for 9 years and never bought a single bottle of it.


If you do want to use it, though, just remember to use the cornstarch version, as talc is dangerous, especially for girls. Also, a little goes a long way so use sparingly.Are you supposed to put baby powder in you babies' diaper?
Cornstarch works well too but honestly, I never used either. The dust from it can get in their lungs and make it hard for them to breathe. To be honest, as long as you keep their wet and dirty diapers changed immediately and their bottoms clean you really don't need powders in their diapers.


I've never bought any and I've never used anything on my son's bottom except a diaper wipe when needed and he's never had a rash or problem. I think this is one of those ';baby essentials'; that is really more of a ';baby gimmick'; on new parents who think they have to have absolutely EVERYTHING available or they won't be doing something right. There really isn't a need.
I only do if there's a moisture problem- but not in the diaper but directly on the skin. But, do it cautiously. It is dangerous for them to inhale the ';dust';.
My mom told me to use vaseline on baby's bottom to prevent rashes etc. I did for my son and he never had a rash. My sis-in-law didn't and her twins got lots of rashes.





Anyway, it doesn't hurt :)
my parents did that with me and my sister (we're 21 and 18) but mothers i see now, at least ones i know, dont do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment