Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Can you take baby formula on an airplane in POWDER form?

I know you can take liquid formula, but I'm going to have to make it hours before we fly, and taking powder is much easier. I would be taking it in one of the portioned containers, so it wouldn't be in it's original container.Can you take baby formula on an airplane in POWDER form?
Yes, as long as the baby is with you, it's allowed. Here's the TSA website;





http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/c鈥?/a>





I actually do NOT recommend those portioned containers. They're not that practical. Use bottles with disposable liners, premeasure the powder, roll them up and place the rolls in a regulation ziplock bag. No need to seal them and if it makes you feel better, strip off the formula lable and put it in there with the bags.





Not only will this be much more obvious to security what you're bringing but much eaiser to use during your trip. Those containers are fiddly and traditional bottles are really hard to wash on airplanes which don't have proper sinks. I was also able to bring much more this way because it's much more compact. I only had the top part to wash. The bag was thrown away.





Now the debate is over the water bottles. Sometimes they're confiscated, sometimes not. Take it unopened and try to get it through. Hopefully they'll be cooperative. Otherwise, you're out about a dollar and will have to buy water in the terminal before you board. Just don't sweat it either way!





Before leaving, as an extra tip, please make sure your baby is used to a room temperature bottle. Yes, the F/A's will warm your bottles but it's a real pain when traveling to do this extra task. There is no health advantage to a warmed bottle to the baby. Remember that there wont be any F/A's to warm the bottles in the waiting area or on the way from the airport, etc.





I haven't flown with formula in awhile but I've been giving these tips out for about seven years and no one so far has reported any problems.





I've found security pretty cooperative with families. They see me alone with three and they're usually very nice, putting me in the handicapped line, etc. Fingers crossed you have good luck too!





I wrote an article about flying with children when I was still a F/A. It's been constantly updated and will soon get its own site. For now, I've put it on a blog. It's totally non-commercial, to the point that I don't mention product names.





http://flyingwithchildren.blogspot.com





Have a good flight!
  • acne scars
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment