Saturday, August 21, 2010

Is it okay for baby if i will put a little baby powder on his body?

Now there is a baby powder that Huggies makes that starts out in liquid then after you put it on it goes to powder form. That is safer. Also Soft and Precious.Is it okay for baby if i will put a little baby powder on his body?
It's ok i guess.. juz dont dump the powder on the baby straight from the bottle.. Sprinkle on your hands first. then put bit by bit on him.Is it okay for baby if i will put a little baby powder on his body?
Baby powder is actually bad for babies even adults. It can actually cause harm to their lungs. In fact any kind of baby or talc powder is bad for adults also. I actually found this out from work. Im a hairstylist and we have always used talc on all our customers. Recently we found out what it does, so we dont use it anymore at the salon, and baby powder is pretty much the same as talc. So stay away from it if not needed. And also, dont put in directly on the baby. Put it in your hands first and rub in on them. Make sure they dont inhale any.
Lots of babies have been fine if their moms have used baby powder on them, but it's true that it isn't that good for them, especially if they breathe it. Consider using cornstarch instead, which is just as effective and will cause no problems for baby.
if your baby is newborn then no. it can get up their nose and it is not good for them. if you like the smell you can buy lotion that smells like baby powder.
Yes it is okay to put powder cause it keep the baby skin cool and soft, cause i have a month old baby and i always use powder on her especially when she is hot it keeps her cool. GOOd Luck wit ur new bundle of joy : )
No it's not okay. It's very dangerous if they inhale the powder. I would use lotion instead.
Baby powder is not really good for babies. It can cause breathing problems and be very bad for their lungs. Do NOT ever use baby powder on any part of your baby. Especially not his body.
yes...i did it when my daughter was born in the summer and she would get little heat rashes in her chubby folds. And i beleive baby powder is safe otherwise it wouldn't be sold on the shelves in all over America if it wasn't!
wow, I always thought it was, until I saw ur question and did a google search.. it definitely is not okay.. I am glad you asked this question, or I still would not know..


this is the link I am still in the middle of reading:


http://parenting.ivillage.com/baby/bsafe鈥?/a>


I am definitely NOT going to use baby powder when I change my baby's diaper. (I am due in 5 weeks).





(to the other answerers) what's with the thumbs down?? I just read this for the first time, and I had no idea that it posed any danger AT ALL until now.. I am just passing on my recently discovered information. I don't have any prior experience with baby powder and babies, so what I read is all I know..


I am taking all of the opinions into consideration as well.





(to you, the asker) thanks for asking this question.. ;)
the medical experts say no, but only you can determine what is best for your baby. if you do choose to, make sure you either put on your hand first and then on baby or in the diaper before putting it on. i use it on my baby every diaper change, and under the chin when he is having a messy day. was told to use vasoline, but that made the redness worse





huggies makes a liquid powder now, its not as good as cornstarch baby powder, but effective.
';The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) takes a position that it is not safe to use baby powder. For care of diaper rash, the Academy writes that parents should ';not use talcum or baby powder because they could cause breathing problems in an infant.';


We do not see this problem often anymore for two reasons:


1) Pediatricians have been discouraging the use of baby powders and consequently most of today's parents are not using this product for the treatment and prevention of diaper rash.


2)The baby powder dispensers are better made now and control the outflow of the powder. But accidents (spills) still occur and children still end up with aspiration pneumonitis (breathing problems) from baby powder.





It is not worth the risk! Pediatricians much prefer the use of protective ointment or creams for the control and treatment of diaper rash. ';





To answer an anwering post...talc has a possible link to ovarian cancer, but to be fair many baby powders no longer contain talc.
There has been some debate about using powder on babies. It has been suggested that it may cause cancer, more so in little girls (because of a particular ingredient in the powder which I can't recall at the moment.)


The other reason against powder is that a baby may grab the container, spill powder onto it's face and inhale it into their lungs.





However, if you want to use powder it's up to you, just keep it safe out of your baby's reach. There are also lots of baby powders that use only natural ingredients, if the first point worries you.
I have had 2 kids and i put baby powder on both of them and there is nothing wrong with them.I was careful when i used powder to put on them,what i did was i put a little baby powder on my hand and rubbed it in a little then i rubbed my hand over my babies belly and back the didn't get any up their nose or anything,It is up to you what you want to do but i used it and my kids are OK and they are healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment