Saturday, August 21, 2010

How long should I breastfeed my baby? How to make the transition from mum's to milk powder or fresh milk?

It is said that mum's milk lacks enough nutrition for baby's growth after he gets 6 month. Milk power or fresh milk should be adopted. But my boy doesn't accept either no matter how hard we try. Actually I've got enough milk and adequate time for him, but I am not sure how long I should feed him? Is there psychological impact on the prolonged milk-feeding? If I should stop feeding him, how can I make a smooth transition? It seems very difficult for me. Thank you.How long should I breastfeed my baby? How to make the transition from mum's to milk powder or fresh milk?
Current advise is that children under one should not be given fresh milk. If you want to try weaning your son onto another milk other than breast milk then you should use powder milk or ready made cartons. It is much closer, nutritionally, to breast milk than cows milk is.





Cows milk is for baby cows and is actually very difficult for young babies to digest. Humans do have a degree of lactose intolerance.





I give my son full fat goats milk as this again is closer to human milk than cows and also is proven to help with skin irritations, tummy problems and problem sleepers.





I starting stopping breast feeds with my son when he was 9 months (it was becoming increasingly hard to keep him on the breast as he was getting distracted and bored) and replaced each feed that I dropped with a bottle of ready made formula and once he got to one, I replaced the formula with cows milk. I changed him to goats milk when he 2 when i read about the benefits of it.





I was lucky that he accepted the change each time with no problems. If your son doesn't like the change, try mixing the two, just adding a small amount of formula at first and build it up slowly over the weeks so he doesn't really notice.





Often (like what happened to me) the child dictates when they want to stop feeding. There is too much going on in the world for them to want to lie and look at your boobs for a whole feed.





Try and trust your own and your sons instincts and go with what feels right for you both.





Good Luck xxHow long should I breastfeed my baby? How to make the transition from mum's to milk powder or fresh milk?
11 or 12 months, thats when I was told to put my kids on cows milk.
I've never heard that a mother's milk lacks nutrition. I didn't think you were supposed to give cow's milk to babies less than a year old?





http://www.breastfeeding.nhs.uk/en/fe/pa鈥?/a>
The WHO (world health organisation) recommend a baby to be breastfed for 2 years minimum. If you and your baby are happy to keep breastfeeding then just keep going. Also Cow's milk should not be used as a baby's main drink until after 12 months, if you want to move over to bottles you would have to use formula.
I have never heard that mothers milk lacks nutrition for the baby after 6 months. I know it is recommended that a baby be breastfed until at least 6 months. But there is no harm in feeding them longer. I know women who have breastfed until their baby is 2 yrs and there have been no psychological effects on the kids. A lot of babies will ween themselves when they are ready. If your son doesn't then I'd say do it as long as you feel comfortable with if. Plus breast milk increases the babies immune system. A week after I stopped breastfeeding my daughter she got her first cold. Once he is a year old he doesn't need breast milk or formula so you should be able to get him off the breast pretty easily at that point. Good luck!!
The milk running out of nutrition os one of those old wives tales that you still hear occasionally.


The truth is that breastmilk is chocked FULL of nutrition! Even at 6+ months of age.


You can continue breastfeeding as long as you and baby feel comfortable. Natural weaning age for most little ones is over a year old. Usually around 2.


Just keep breastfeeding and slowly introduce a sippy cup with water, or juice and start solids very slowly and in no time you will be on the right track to a healthy toddler diet while still breastfeeding and providing you baby with moms best!
ACTUALLY, the AAP recommends exclusive breastfeeding for the first 6 mos and then CONTINUING to breastfeed for AT LEAST the first entire year with the addition of solid foods (no other milks needed), and thereafter as long as mom and baby want.





The AAP policy states, ';There is no upper limit to the duration of breastfeeding and no evidence of psychologic or developmental harm from breastfeeding into the third year of life or longer.';
breast milk is fine but you have too start giving you babies solids after 6 months i feed my frist too 14 months breast milk with solids and i am feeding my second and she is 10 months you can start feeding your baby cows milk from 1 breast or formula are the best thing nad food for your baby
Breast milk is the best for a baby. You should at least breast feed your baby until he is 1 year old. Breast milk actually has more nutrients than powdered or fresh milk.





I transitioned my son to formula at 6 months because my job wouldn't allow for pumping anymore (next time I'll try and go longer.) But anyways, in order to get him to like formula, I had to repeatedly try and try to get him to taste it. Even if he only drank 1 ounce. Then I'd give him more of my milk to fill him, but eventually he took the formula just fine. There are several kinds of formula, so try each of them if you don't think he likes 1 or the other... but you have to try each one for a couple days to really see. Don't just try them once.





There is no negative psychological impact of prolonged breastfeeding, especially if its only to a year or so. This is how women have fed their children for thousands of years. Yes formula is adequate, but breastfeeding is natural and perfect for your baby.





I don't think you should introduce cow's milk until at least 10-12 months. You could cause an allergic reaction and that would have HUGE ramifications later in life. What is the rush?





Trust your instinct and good luck!
you feed him as long as you want dont let anyone tell you when to stop never put them streight on to cows milk try bay milk for hungry babys he might wont the milk but not lke the teat as when they are breast fed they are much fusser than not try lots of teats but a good one to try is nuk they are like a breast shape just strat him on one bottle a day then build it up even if he is only taking i oz just buid it up hope thats helped
ok breast is best... blah blah





I bottle fed all mine with artifical milk from birth and they are fine LOL..


I started cows milk around 6/12mths slowly and they were fine.





Maybe ask yr doctor hun.

No comments:

Post a Comment