Monday, August 23, 2010

When is the best age to switch from baby powdered milk to fresh?

My son is nearly 19months and our regular pediatrician told me to slowly change his milk from S26 Number 3 to fresh. We did this and he has slowly got used to it. Another pediatrician however told us it was too quick and he should have powdered until 4 years old. He has a good diet and eats pretty much everything. I don't want to go back to powdered. Opinions and advice welcomed???When is the best age to switch from baby powdered milk to fresh?
When you say powdered milk are you speaking of formula? I've always heard and this is what I did with both of my babies is....





Breast milk or formula for the 1st year


whole milk until 2years old


2% until 5 years old





and from there you can go to skim or 1% if you'd like.


As far as the transition from formula to milk, I started with full servings of milk once a day for a couple of days and then formula for the rest of the time and went from there. My youngest had a milk allergey so we had to switch to soy. Good Luck and God Bless.When is the best age to switch from baby powdered milk to fresh?
Maranda has it right. That's what I did with my kids.
I don't know why your doctor would put him on powdered milk to begin with. My daughter was on formula until the age of 1, then switched directly to cow's milk.
I agree with Maranda too.


Toddler formula has a lot more sugar than regular cow's milk, which children definitely don't need.


Keep going with the fresh milk especially if all seems fine!
Um, yeah why is your child on powered milk? Was there a medical reason? Maybe you could give a little more info, because otherwise there is no reason a child shouldn't go from formula to whole milk around age 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment