Monday, November 21, 2011

Can you eat baby powder?

About 2 months ago I asked this 19 year old girl that I work with if she had any weird food craving cause she was at the time 7 months prgnant. She said that she craved dirt. Now she eats baby powder. the whole thing. she said you can just scoop it in your mouth you have let it poof in the air and breath it in. Shes seems almost obessed with it. I think her Doc said that it was okay! What do you think? Can you maybe mix it with something like yogurt to give it some flavor?Can you eat baby powder?
It's called PICA... and its not a healthy habit, especially with eating in large doses. Google PICA and print out what you find to show your friend.


If nothing else, replace the dirt or powder with ice. At least it's hydrating. Also... she probably is low in iron. I'd honestly suggest switching to a prenatal viatmin with a higher iron dosage or take an additional supplement.Can you eat baby powder?
breathing it in is not good. Putting anything in your lungs is bad. As far as eating it, shes got to be pulling your leg...to tell you the truth it sounds really grose to me.
why would you eat baby powder?
It can cause breathing problems that is why Dr's don't even like people to use baby powder on infants anymore.





It is abnormal to crave things that aren't food and her doctor should be made aware of the problem. I can't remember the name of it but I know there is information about it in the handbook that the Dr gave me and that if you start to crave non-food things then you are suppose to notify your doctor ASAP.
Your friend has Pica. It happens when a pregnant woman is deficient in certain vitamins and minerals. I can't believe her doctor would say that this is alright. Make sure she actually told her doctor. If she did I would find another doctor. This type of behavior can be dangerous for the fetus.
I'm sorry but that is just disgusting it makes me sick just thinking about someone eating something that's meant for changing diapers
Trust me it's not the flavor she is interested in. I have 3 children. All three pregnancies I was the same way. My midwife for the third pregnancy said it was an iron deficiency. After I took the iron pills, I didn't want any powder. It doesn't hurt anyone. It is like eating cornstarch for the crunch or ice. Tell her to try the iron pills once or twice a day as prescribed by a doctor. She'll for get all about the baby powder.
Because baby powder has chemicals in it I would NOT suggest eating it.
uhmm... no i dont think u can... no offense thats kinda weird! lol

No comments:

Post a Comment